PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mick Toller to go!
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2003, 13:32
Desert Flower

Location: Next door to the neighbor from hell, who believes in chemtrails!
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
MEDIA RELEASE
The Hon John Anderson MP
Deputy Prime Minister
Minister for Transport and Regional Services
Leader of the National Party
22 July 2003
A83/2003

DIRECTOR OF AVIATION SAFETY

The Director of Aviation Safety, Mick Toller, will leave the Civil Aviation Safety Authority on 8 August 2003, the Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Transport and Regional Services, John Anderson, announced today.

"Mick Toller has served CASA with distinction, in an extremely demanding, turbulent and difficult job over the last 5 years," Mr Anderson said.

"He was responsible for CASA's introduction of world firsts in competency-based training and fatigue management systems; he introduced the new Service Centre and the AOC Online system; and he significantly improved CASA's industry consultation through the Aviation Safety Forum and the Standards Consultative Committee.

"Under his leadership, and with my strong support, CASA's performance of its essential aviation role has developed and advanced considerably.

"We have now reached a stage where aviation safety issues are steadily and effectively progressed in close liaison between the Government, CASA and the aviation industry, and not on the front pages of the media.

"I would like to emphasise my respect for Mr Toller's achievements at CASA and wish him well for the future.

"On the recommendation of the CASA Board, I have appointed the Deputy Director of CASA, Bruce Gemmell, as its Acting Director pending the appointment of a substantive replacement," Mr Anderson said.

The Government has introduced legislation into Parliament to restructure CASA, with the abolition of the Board and the redefinition of the role of the Director as a chief executive officer with more direct links and accountability to the Minister for Transport and Regional Services. The legislation is expected to be passed in mid-August.