PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HEATHROW
Thread: HEATHROW
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2016, 11:31
T250

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's a tiny fraction of the long haul connectivity avaialble over LGW compared to that over LHR. It allows a one stop connection for business to the world, easyJet to LGW is a different market entirely. So "at best" a fair bit of money will be inbound to the Highlands from overseas, even at one flight per day. Inbound tourism is a big money earner in pasts of Scotland, so in terms of getting US or Japanese tourists to that part of the world, LHR gives options LGW can only dream about. You might turn your nose up at one flight a day but GLA sings the praises of one B757 per day, from EWR. As does BFS, because they know the sort of importance they have to the economy.

Leeds and Inverness seem rather pleased to have a Heathrow connection again, maybe they should just shoosh and be thankful for what they have with easyJet and London. Say to the wider world, "Scotland's not for you"?
There's no figures I have available to myself and I doubt you have figures either to substantiate what sort of market there is for both long haul connectivity from INV to LHR and then opposite, local tourism inbound to INV from LHR.

However, Inverness is not a major city in the likes of Glasgow or Belfast, as a simple Google search indicates an Inverness population of almost 47,000. I think it is slightly overstating the supposed 'importance' of LHR having regional routes again as well as overstating what a triumph this is for just 47,000 people. Do we really think even 10-20% of these people or those from surrounding areas will actually utilise this route. Obviously there is some doubt, hence the 'Use it or lose it' article!

If there is so much business to be tapped into in INV then it begs the question why all airlines till now (apart from EZY) have been seasonal schedules only?

Time will tell obviously, however this is a case of BA simply testing the waters and seeing an opportunity for short term. When it inevitably doesn't work out to the profits they desire they will shunt the slot to something far more lucrative.