PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should I take the longer runway
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2016, 11:05
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which brings in the ever spiralling discussion. B737NG: 22k, 24k 26k 27K are all full power. If the engine is rated 27K, and you can make an acceptable performance calculation, then a 22k takeoff is allowed as this can be considered full power; but not an assumed temp takeoff as well. (some a/c have only 22K engines anyway). Somewhere in the thrust graph 27K + assumed temp = 22K. There are some authorities that do not allow operators with >22K engines to use derates: everything is assumed temp from the max available power. Thus, on a contaminated runway, or for any other of the relevant reasons, no matter what the ATOW, you blast off with a huge surplus of power. We know about the effect of power on VMCG & VMCA; we know about the power pitch couple - more apparent with light a/c - we know about the exaggerated swing this would give with an engine failure at V1 and a long pause while you wait for Vr.
Question. Is this method of takeoff thrust calculation a good idea or not? Especially on a contaminated runway?