PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which Ipad mini 2 yoke mount.
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2016, 01:51
Old Akro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I reckon your quotes MIHC encapsulate a lot of what is wrong with CASA.

1. CASA try and regulate via CAAP's which have no legal standing.
2. CASA essentially require a yoke mounted clipboard for paper charts (try passing an MECIR test without one). They are behind the play and showing a double standard between electronic & paper media.
3. If the beanhead that wrote this really thinks an iPad mini mounted to a yoke
may affect flight control system dynamics
then he / her simply fails to have enough flying experience to be competent in his / her role.
4. CASR 21.M? Really? Find me a structural part of the aeroplane within the required field of view of an approach chart. I reckon 9 times out of 10 if you fix an ipad mount to the cockpit its going to be to a non structural part of the instrument panel of an interior trim garnish or interior trim mounting tab. The reference to 21.M amounts to little more than scare tactics.

For most people, I think an iPad mount will be:
a) via a removable clamp on the control column ala the ubiquitous approach plate clips. After trying a few things, I like the RAM clamp & spider skeleton iPad mount best.
b) via something like a RAM ball mount on a removable instrument blanking cover.
c) via something like a RAM ball mount affixed to the side interior trim (once again non-structural).

I recently attended a Jeppesen chart clinic webcast. The presenter foreshadowed that Jeppesen will be out of paper based information completely within 5 years. You'd think CASA's role in promoting safety would lead to them assisting us transitioning to iPads, not putting impediments in the way instead of pretending that we still fly like it was the sixties. The future is inexorably moving toward us.