PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - all op-websites claim 2 employ old salt exclusively. where are the low-time guys ?
Old 22nd Jul 2003, 09:52
Aussierotor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately some of the bigger companies only employ experienced pilots.
Son worked for a tour company that said he could fly their Jetrangers(when no passengers onboard) to get an endorsement.Found out in end their insurance covered minimum 1500 hours with 750 turbine ,so he got bull sh!tted to.
So insurance is one reason.
Then i supposed if you owned a company you would want experienced pilots as well,hence most pilots have to get the hours up on smaller machines in smaller places.Still damn hard.
Similar to getting a car licence i suppose.When new, insurance is a killer and trying to rent one is impossible.You could be the best in the world ,but the belief is your and in-experienced cowboy waiting for an accident which is true in a lot of cases.
Getting back to advertising "all experienced pilots with over X hours" probably does relieve future passengers ,but no body would really know unless an accident did happen and it the media got hold of it and said the pilot had only minimal hours,therefore giving a company a bad image.

Hours ,hours,hours --its as simple as that. haha
No wonder so many give up.

My son tried for 5 years.Did the plane/chopper method,plus has flown another 10 hours since.
Decided to go on a world trip as most young kids do ,only away a month ,then gets offered a job,and has to come home.
The timing was wrong but a golden opportunity to get started was more important.Heads into Aussie wednesday ,gets his licence upto date ,gets an R44 endorsement ,and next month starts.

In a few years he will be able to fly for one of those "all experenced high hour pilots" places ,if he so chooses ,or better still if they would hire him.