PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Has anyone done the Wings Alliance "Airline Ready Course"
Old 5th May 2016, 16:41
sapperkenno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Final word from an old sod. It worries me when aspiring pilots seem most interested in following the path of least resistance. If aviation is your passion, why don't you want to learn all their is to know about it?
Are you seriously suggesting most of the guff included in the 14 ATPL exams is worth knowing?

I am probably as passionate as they come. First had a hands-on go at the age of 9, trial lessons for the odd birthday and Christmas as I grew up, 6 years in the Air Cadets. Joined the military (Army) but unable to become an Army Pilot (short-sightedness then laser corrective surgery, neither allowed for mil aviators at the time) so saved my money and did my PPL. Hour building in the US opened my eyes to how great flying is out there, and I found a great school to do all my professional qualifications (that EASA look down their noses at) through to flight instructor. Read all the books from my teens upwards, played on PC flight sims, spent most weekends at the local airfields.

Obtained UK instructor ratings on my PPL, and have been working full-time in aviation for the last 3 years as a flight instructor.

I also fly commercially in the UK on my FAA qualifications, which you probably see as the path of least resistance, when in reality it is a system that does the job with a lot less hassle. Now currently (at last) sitting the EASA ATPLs. Quite why I should relish having to take time off work, spend loads of money and mental effort to prove my passion, when I can jump in something with an N on the back, earn decent money and do what I love doing isn't what I see as learning all there is to know about it. I'd rather be doing it, not grounding myself to pass some nonsense exams.

Last edited by sapperkenno; 5th May 2016 at 18:01.