PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The morons on 121.5. Authorities please act!
Old 5th May 2016, 16:32
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can the Authorities please set up a triangulation system (shouldn't be too difficult) to nail these idiots and make sure they have to go through a phsych evaluation. Please don't tell us it is being implemented and just let the fools fall in the trap first!
With the advent of very accurate time sources multilateration techniques are feasible to give a good location on a transmission even with hobbyist equipment:

Multilateration (MLAT)

Multilateration (MLAT) ? FlightAware

I'm guessing VHF multilateration with an analog signal might be harder but the principle is the same.

Also, one of the great proposals years ago was for ATC voice comms to go digital as many other busy forms of communication have done. There would be a tag on each transmission to identify the sender as with many APCO P25 digital police systems. Maybe some of the younger folks here will live to see this happen.

Think what the Authorities and your employer would think if within a few minutes of acting like a moron you happen to experience some sort of technical event which requires the CVR to be read, what would that transcript make you look like and would you be likely to be retained by your employer?
I agree and, as you know, it has happened where even a minor incident or failure makes the entire two hour CVR recording fair game for review. Even if you're in the union, you'll have a lot of explaining to do if the tape shows that you weren't doing your job airborne.

Hire Delta Airlines to enforce Guard discipline! That's why they are sometimes referred to as the Guard Nazis in the US.
Cathay and FedEx MEM crews in Asia often take similar leadership positions in R/T enforcement in Asia from what I've seen.

To some extent this reflects the culture we live in these days - discipline seems to be a thing of the past.
To some degree it is indeed generational. But I've been listening to the whiners say things like 'until they pay me more and give me a week off for my birthday, I'm not going to do my job well' for decades now.