PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Business Aviation Asia (BAA)
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2016, 10:23
Redflagbizflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steer Clear

Unless someone is desperate for a job or can't be hired anywhere else, it is highly recommended you steer away from this company. I departed about a year back but still keep in touch with a few who remain. They are too paranoid to talk it up, so I'm doing it for them. Things are really doing down hill lately and they have recently signed on with NetJets. In no time, the pilots who remain will all be demoted to FO and given line numbers...slightly sarcastic but don't put the idea of something negative coming out of this business venture for the crews. Within the company information is never dispersed about anything and the crews are "officially" notified via news tickers and left in total darkness. Recently they have been redoing contracts and imposing additional or amended clauses about separation terms with heavy penalties. Many pilots are grumbling and throwing fits, but BAA doesn't compromise unless it somehow will benefit them. Trying to plan a vacation???....yeah...not going to happen. Getting leave approved is like trying to get a law passed within the US Congress (sorry Yanks). Nothing gets done fast enough and they usually come back and say your request is too far in advance to approve, or simply deny it due to potential scheduling conflicts. This is probably due to their pilot shortage which is only gonna get worse. Historically they have adamantly refused rotation schedules, but recently they have brought on this "fantastic" idea called a 60/30, but at a significant pay cut, not to mention they require you to perform recurrent training on your time off along with your work visa paperwork. If you do the math, you'll see its not a true rotation, but just a way for them to squeeze more out of their pilots...and then maybe plan your time off. I am not aware if many have taken them up on this yet and I believe its only for certain aircraft types, but don't quote me on that. They are making these pilots sign new contracts with those amended clauses about early-termination penalties amongst several other items. Furthermore, if you ever have a problem while flying the line and need to call their dispatch, good luck unless you speak Chinese. This "Operations Center" is manned by 20 something year old kids who can barely speak English of any variety and don't know a bloody thing about aviation. Putting aside all these things, the pay is ok but the company is consistently dreaming up ways to make reductions. Living in China has its many obstacles besides the language and culture and if your thinking about bringing your family here, you might want to checkout something called an AQI Index. Doesn't matter what city your in, your health is gonna suffer and if your based in a heavily polluted city, then good luck with your family. You have been warned, but then again, if your absolutely desperate you might want to try it out. Its not all shabby, but for us experienced guys, the negatives definitely outweigh the positives and there are way better biz jet offers out there with commuting and better contract terms. Steer clear if at all possible!