PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bertrand Piccard nomination for the HGAP Masters Medal
Old 4th May 2016, 23:47
Genghis the Engineer

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts
You are getting a little tedious now Jay.

If you want to influence awards processes, go and get involved with the organisations that award them.

Many people aren't deeply impressed by TCT's achievements, but going on about them like this in public doesn't really add much to anything. TCT won an award for promoting flying for women - in an environment where well under 10% of women are pilots, that means something after all.

A different woman pilot won a prestigious award for being my navigator in a long distance flying competition. She barely touched the controls - I wrote the citation, it was totally honest, and she earned it. But not for flying the aeroplane, which neither of us ever claimed that she did.

I've no idea of Carol Vorderperson is likely to win any award for anything - but would mention that she gives up a very large amount of time for her figurehead role for the Air Cadets organisation. That's not a flying role, but it's doing a lot of good for young people in aviation - and that is worthwhile too and actually using her celebrity to good effect.

Basically, go get involved yourself, the sniping isn't doing you or aviation any great favours. Your point has been made - by multiple people, and is well enough known now.

G