PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bertrand Piccard nomination for the HGAP Masters Medal
Old 4th May 2016, 21:12
Mike Flynn

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
I am sorry but more sarcasm on my part.

Carol Vorderman made a big song and dance about giving up her tv career to fly around the world to advance womens aviation and in her case she cited Amelia Earhart as her heroine. Sadly I suspect a last chance attempt to salvage her declining small screen presence.

The bottom line is we still await her departure on the long trip.

To be a true adventurer you do not need a mother or father figure. Just get out there and do it.

We live in an equal society so women need to do a bit more than posing for nice pictures.

Suddenly we have this new award.

' For highlighting women in aviation and encouraging girls/young women to pursue their aspirations even if they seem to be beyond reach.'

You need a lot of cash to buy, fuel and fly a Stearman on a long distance flight.
It guzzles twice the fuel and more of Amy Johnsons little Moth.

High powerered rich connections also help as they have done in history.

Lindbergh,Amelia Earhart,Amy Johnson etc. Not exactly living on the breadline.

Sexist awards are it appears now the thing as women need 'highlighting' if they want to be pilots.

What next?

The Old Blokes flying award for leaving the allotment and sitting in a biplane hopefully with a nice well qualified second pilot up front

As an over 65 I can enter for that.

Maybe the Gay Pilots award for long distance flying? ( I have a very good gay friend who has flown his turbine Malibu a couple of times from the US to Asia and back via Nepal.)

Tracy Curtis Taylor addressed a gathered United Nations UK sponsored series of talks a few weeks ago in Geneva to promote women in aviation.

However the gathered audience failed to notice the elephant in the room.

The promo carried this unfortunate picture with a man hiding in the front of the Stearman on arrival in Sydney.

The person hiding from the camera in the picture above is flying instructor Ewald Gritsch who owns the Stearman and was in the front seat for the entire epic 'solo'. In other words a man was helping to further women in aviation.
How hard was that trip of months of battling the elements with just an Ipad and a GPS. Amy did it in 19 days in 1921.

I like the "historic and treacherous solo flight from the UK to Sydney "in the promo above.

No mention of the five star hotel sponsors on her website.

The press pictures en route tell a different story.

Two people in an aircraft on a solo flight?

Maybe time for some answers from the Bird in the Biplane herself?

Maybe time to give Bertrand the hat trick for his superb aviation achievment getting Solar Impulse across the Pacific.

Last edited by Mike Flynn; 4th May 2016 at 21:38.