PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC225 crash near Bergen, Norway April 2016
Old 4th May 2016, 20:03
Lonewolf_50

Received 404 Likes on 250 Posts
@Never Fretter: given that each of three mounts (well, six, pins at each end) presents to the design team "catastrophic if it fails" (since the design team have to look at all loads and failure modes) I suspect that a substantial safety factor was given the pins' design/dimension.
If I understand the way they attach correctly, the pins would fail in shear if they fail at all. (If I misunderstand the attachment method, apologies).

Two previous points that seem not to have been later corrected are:

• One of the pins is in a hard-to-get-to, hard-to-see place once installation is complete. Question is: "What is the inspection interval for condition/corrosion, etc for that mounting pin." (Since you have to get around the engine, is it a time consuming inspection procedure?).
  • Corrosion: I dont' know what the pins are made of, but I'll guess it's a hardened steel. How much history does this fleet have (I am asking about all of the ones using this particular mounting pin mentioned above, not just one company's) of having to replace a pin during service due to corrosion discovered during an inspection or otherwise uncovered?
My question is in part drawn from these helicopters operating in the maritime environment (oil rigs) and my own experience with the never ending corrosion war when operating on a ship with a helicopter.

@henra: nice pun, albeit tragic.