PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC225 crash near Bergen, Norway April 2016
Old 4th May 2016, 12:45
Helicopterfixerman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please accept my apologies, everyone. My mind is obviously playing tricks. Vortex is correct, in that it is the upper pins that differ from the lower ones. The incident was also on a 332L, so the whole thing may be a red herring, particular if as Vortex said the pin is too short for installation in the incorrect position.

However, I confirm again, the smaller diameter pin has been inserted, and locked, in the wrong fitting (on a 332). It was not noticed by duplicating engineers. The first hint of something wrong was when the aircraft was powered up.

It is interesting that the ASB/AD require both the pins and the fitting attachments to be checked. Might this indicate that the suspension bar (at least one) has departed the aircraft but it is unknown whether it was via a pin failure/installation error or a fitting attachment failure/installation error.

I had heard a rumour that the forward fitting was replaced recently. Wholly unsubstantiated rumour.

Again, I'm not suggesting that any of this is the cause of the accident, but it is possible.

Apologies again.