PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2016, 12:05
Prophead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just don't get it.

All these people with good jobs that have dreamed of flying since they were 6 months old etc. etc.

Are you all qualified PPL's with an IR or at least IMC?

If not why not? If you dreamed of flying all your life then why are you only interested in throwing £100k+ at some airline scheme?

I wanted to fly since I was quite young, I was at the flying club when I was about 12 pestering them for info on learning to fly. I spent every spare bit of cash getting my PPL and then extra licences and flying all over.

How can you have always dreamed of flying, have a good job yet never had a PPL?

For those of you who do or even those who are thinking of training, get a PPL. Do your ATPL whilst enjoying flying as many different types as possible and get your IR. All these will be as much use flying for fun as they will commercially so not money wasted get a share in something and do that flying you always dreamed of. You may only have 1 or 2 passengers instead of loads of fare paying ones but who cares?.

If you still want to fly for a living after that then add a CPL (cheap if you already hold an IR) and an MCC then your ready to start sending out CV's. I tell you now you will make more contacts during your PPL flying than you ever will at some pilot training seminar. If you don't get a job who cares? All you have wasted is the CPL and MCC fee which is under £10k. You still have your current job and the ability to fly all over the world IFR in a shared aircraft which is what you have wanted to do all your life.

Of course, if its some kind of uniform fetish you have rather than a desire to actually fly you can always but some bars on ebay.

Last edited by Prophead; 4th May 2016 at 15:07.