PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Geoffrey Thomas Sinks To New Low
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2016, 02:55
The Green Goblin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Both occasions you had French nationals with low experience and possibly incorrect training at the controls.

Coupled with poor flight deck discipline and a culture that would be described as less than open, you have these incidents.

During my TR, the instructor had never flown a modern Airbus. He had an Airbus TR and had flown the usual suspects for domestic airlines in Australia prior to 89, and the usual expat stuff afterwards. But no modern Airbus experience. He knew the CBT and sim, but not how she catches you out in the real world.

This is pretty typical of training organisations that the airlines outsource to. Most of my knowledge came from pushing the wrong button at the wrong time and either being quickly put in place by a stressed out captain, or by seeing what happens when you're a spectator on a high performance jet. It can get ugly unless you take the right corrective action almost immediately.

The right corrective action however is not always immediately obvious. Especially under duress in the heat of battle.

I love the Airbus and feel I have a very good understanding of her, and have the tools and training to handle most situations. I can't say I felt like that when I first starting flying the line. I'm also a 10,000 hour pilot with plenty of real world experience .