PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The dangers of flashing the BIOS
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2016, 21:32
Hyph

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with crablab... a problem during flash reprogramming generally results in a bricked device. Occasionally, you can flash it again and it will work.

Power drops/spikes are often blamed, but it can also simply be the flash memory having reached the maximum limit of re-flashes. This can be a surprisingly few - I recall working with some equipment that had an Intel flash chip with a theoretical 'limit' of 10 re-flashes. They were being used in a test environment and got re-flashed frequently. Oops!

My advice (to anyone) is not to re-flash BIOS (or any other firmware) unless you really need to.

You can stack the odds in your favour:
  • Don't re-flash unless the new version solves a problem you already have or introduces a feature you really, absolutely, definitely must have
  • Don't use new firmware that is less than a month old (it might be very buggy and you will end up flashing it again very soon after when an update is released)
  • Laptops: make sure the battery is fully charged and run on mains power during the re-flash
  • Desktops: use a UPS.
    If no UPS is available, hold your breath, don't look at your computer in a funny way and empty your mind of all impure thoughts during the re-flash