PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Military Aircrew and Heart Murmur
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2016, 20:54
Smeagol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not wishing to spoil anyone's party but....................

I had a 'heart murmur' detected during an RAF medical at Biggin Hill and unfortunately it meant that I could never fly as anything other than as a PPL. The RAF offered me a cadetship in Engineering but being just a tad disappointed at not being able to become a pilot I thought that I could not handle being so close to my chosen career without being able to do it.
I had undertaken two previous medicals at Biggin and passed both. The diagnosis was that I had had a mild case of rheumatic between the 2nd and 3rd medicals which damaged my heart.
It was a wrong diagnosis as a few years later when ultrasound imaging became available I was examined by a Harley St cardiologist ( Oil company medical) who told me that I had a bicuspid aortic valve (and still have !) and I was born with it. He also said that whoever picked this up was having a good day with a warm stethoscope.

The good news is that the original (wrong) diagnosis happened in 1969 and would unlikely happen today as ultrasound and MRI scans can clearly identify my problem today. In my case the outcome would likely have been the same. "No career in flying for you my son"

The good news is that I was told that I would probably need an aortic valve replacement by the age of 50, I am now 64 and the valve is holding up well, I have ultrasound scans every couple of years and to date no changes.

Hope it turns out better for you NDW.