PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC225 crash near Bergen, Norway April 2016
Old 3rd May 2016, 00:29
Satcomm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't believe they have ruled out gearbox failure. They have just ruled out the vertical shaft issue that caused the previous 225 ditchings.

"Airbus Helicopters said initial evidence suggested no link with two previous incidents in Scotland involving Super Puma H225 helicopters."

Still seems to closely similar to G-REDL to believe at the moment that it could be anything other then the gearbox locking up. Which I guess as in G-REDLs case, was an isolated incident to that variant (AS332L2). Airbus may already be considering this an isolated one off incident in the H225. It is a different aircraft and the only time (if it is the case) it has happened.

That said, the fact that Bristow has suspended 225 flights would make one believe that it is NOT maintenance related on CHCs behalf. Why would they park millions of dollars worth of aircraft if they knew it was a maintenance issue by the other operator .... Same token, I guess in today's downturn, being able to park aircraft at customers expense while putting other assets to work may not sound to bad.

As far as the 225 goes, would be hard to think it's going away. There isn't enough aircraft out there to fill the role and as a few have already said, there isn't an aircraft that can do it for the price ... Full pax, full fuel. At the end of the day Big Oil comes down to profits ... They will have their "advisors" inform them what they want to hear and the 225 will be back in service. Wasn't to many years ago everyone was calling for the S92s head, petitions signed, pax refusing to board, etc.

Last edited by Satcomm; 3rd May 2016 at 01:12. Reason: Spelling