PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Civvy drone operators course as a resettlement idea?
Old 2nd May 2016, 17:41
tegwin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are plenty of companies offering all the training and paperwork etc with the promise of lots of work once you qualify and all the blonde virgins you want.... Reality might be a little different. Having a permit and insurance along with a drone doesn't make you ready to go make money. Flying and filming at the same time is a challenge that requires practice. Next challenge is finding people who want your services. There's a lot of people with a phantom/other generic small drone who are running around selling them selves as pro film makers. Some are very skilled but a lot are not! I fly suav's for a living. Probably 50% of my time is sat in the office sorting paperwork/planning flights/invoicing etc. 30% of my time is spent driving... The remaining 20% of the time I get to film cool stuff

My tip would be to find a niche where you think you can actually get sustained business. Cost out what equipment and instance etc is going to cost and work out if the work you have identified will cover the cost in a reasonable time.... It all adds up... I have £5k worth of batteries before we even start talking about cameras, drones, Chargers, monitors etc