PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC225 crash near Bergen, Norway April 2016
Old 2nd May 2016, 07:01
DeltaV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pilot DAR
The drawing, and photos in posts 200 & 212, show the transmission attaching rods, as they are installed. These rods show a connection from the top deck of the fuselage to the upper case of the transmission. They show that the eye end of the rod attaches to the transmission, while the fork end attaches to the deck.

If the photo of the rotor with the rod projecting up were showing us a disconnected transmission rod, the disconnection has happened at the transmission, because that's the end with the eye? If the rod had disconnected at the deck, we'd be seeing the fork end in the photo, if it were that rod?
My interpretation of that view of the rod is that it is the fork end not the eye end, and that it looks a bit like the eye is due to the POV of the photograph. Were it the eye, I think there would be (a) more pronounced shaping apparent where the cylinder is machined to a flat, and (b) some indication of 'polishing' where the eye mated with the fork on the transmission case.
Not saying this rod has, but very often these eye ends have a spherical bearing in there too.

Originally Posted by Pilot DAR
No speculation as to what happened on my part, just considering what appears to me in the photos.
None from me either.