PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Robin DR400's
Thread: Robin DR400's
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2003, 00:50
Aerobatic Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Robin DR400's

In a recent thread about structural failure, I commented on the case of the DR400 that lost a wing in flight - ostensibly due to poor construction quality.

Well, that may be the downside (and it's a big one) for some aircraft produced in a clearly determined period. But having just done my first longish trip in a DR400 (1500 miles in 3 days), I wanted to say what fantastic touring aircraft they are.

I was flying a late-model 160hp variant. We managed to load 4 adults, 30kg of baggage and a full main fuel tank, without any weight or balance problems. With that load, we got off the ground after about 500m, climbed at perhaps 600ft/min, and cruised at 120kts in considerable comfort. The visibility is superb, the noise levels not bad, the handling reasonable and the landing as easy as they come.

With a reduced fuel load, we managed to take off safely from a 750m runway at 2500ft when the outside temperature was 33°C (which I think makes the density altitude just over 5000ft), which isn't something I'd want to try in a PA28.

All in all, very impressive.

If anyone wants to donate a nice, newish DR400 to a good home, please PM me!