PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Briefing Checklist
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2016, 19:26
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I once flew for an outfit whose takeoff safety brief finished one scenario with, "and then we'll climb to MSA." This was said everytime from every runway. There were over 200 airfields in the network = >400 runways. At many airfields there were 2/3/4 MSA's. At some there was a very high MSA straight ahead and a much lower MSA left or right. So after the PF had put in the cassette, and pressed the play button for the regurgitated monkey brief, I asked which MSA was he talking about? Blank stare.
The reply was that the takeoff brief had been given as written. I then discussed that, surely, a brief was a declaration of intent. That was agreed, but the PF had no real answer about what was expected. He had quoted the written SOP.
I wrote a suggestion that the take off brief should be changed to, "we'll climb to XXXX'." Again, no reply.
Meanwhile the takeoff briefing became longer & longer and listened to less and less. It was a regurgitation of SOP's. There was a written SOP that briefings should be brief because the listener could not absorb too much information. OMG. Agh!
I once flew for another operator, years ago, with more sensible and less rigid techniques.
Takeoff brief from some old farts. "today we shall operate using SOP's. If I decide it is safer to deviate I will tell you. In the event of an engine failure during takeoff we shall climb MFRA, clean up and XXXX YYYYY ZZZZ. Clear?"
Let's go.