PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - St. Helena Service
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2016, 18:39
volare7266

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i always thought that CPT was more desirable for the locals and tourists who can combine a 2 centre holiday with the Cape plus decent onwards connections to Europe with BA and KL and more high-seasonal ones from CPT
(BA LH KL TK EK QR MH SQ AB DE MT)

CPT-HLE is about 3100 kms
JNB-HLE is about 3660 kms

the new BA 738 could op JNB-CPT-HLE-CPT-JNB surely a benefit to all concerned - the FD crew needed for HLE special clearance ops gets on in CPT

i dont get why this hasn't been done from the start
I fully agree that CPT is much more popular with Saints and tourists as well. JNB makes no sense at all. Someone must have been blinded by all those 'fantastic' connections in JNB from places like Gaborone, Maseru, Manzini, Lagos, Lubumbashi, Ndola, Kigali, Maputo and so on ...

The most important early connections from London are 'high risk connections with a transit time of only 1,5 h. BA 55 from time to time arrives late 3, 5 or even 12 hours.

But now everything is up in the air anyway. It seems Comair is not keen any longer to fly to HLE, the 737-800 a 'slippery' plane under the wind conditions on the island. There are reports the Government is already looking for alternatives. And I don't see how ASSI could give a green light if airlines have such serious concerns.

Back to the drawing board !