PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near CFIT because PIC didn't understand FL
Old 30th Apr 2016, 17:37
Lancelot de boyles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airbubba, I'm playing devils advocate, now...

But only if your company procedures permit it. Ours currently do not but as I said, it will probably change...
Dare I say it, but that smacks of a fix-all SOP in the absence of truly understanding the individual local requirements? ie. The most limiting (apparently), would be NADP1, and so let's adopt that as our standard.

I've worked in many places where the company standard became a sort of NADP2, unless NADP1 is specified.
1500'/1500'.
And then others where we used 800'/800'
And in North America, frequently 400'

And in a most refreshing case, with my last two operations, what does it say on the charts? (assuming that they reflect the AIP accurately, which is not always the case) If NADP1, we'll fly that. If NADP2, then that is what we'll do. If nothing is stated, then 400'.

There is a very big case for a rationalisation of the rules. For instance, I recently departed an airport where QNH was 1013, and cleared level was 6000'. On handover, two sectors down, we remained at 6000' but belatedly prompted by ATC that we were now flying on Flight levels, so FL60. Easily missed, because it was a slightly unusual circumstance.

It does not negate the point, however, that as crew, either myself or the FO, we are responsible for taking these into account. That's the professional+airmanship aspect.

Some mention has been made about accepting/declining a departure clearance that includes an altitude below MSA.
For descents and approaches, this will frequently be the case. And with upwards of 20+ different national air spaces over here, within the same geographical area as one national air space in the US, some significant consideration needs to be given to the differences.

I alluded to this earlier. Not far from US airspace, there is a very large arena (the Caribbean) where things are very different and varied from home skies.

The risks aren't limited to the lower levels. Internationally, When you start crossing borders where levels are suddenly metric, and RVSM constraints mean going down, not up, being equally unprepared can have equally worrisome results.
The list can go on, as there are a great many issues that we may either take for granted, or dismiss out of simple naïveté through lack of local knowledge.

One or two things this crew will have gained from this is a very valid lesson about complacency, and a good helping of experience, that hopefully will help them going forwards.