PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Following my journey on board on line
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2016, 11:53
Alsacienne

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Following my journey on board on line

Sincere apologies if I am asking a rubbish question .... and I can accept I might receive a rubbish reply in return.

I enjoy 'navigating' through the window during my flight. Makes all that 'O' level geography from the Dark Ages make a bit more sense than it did at the time in the classroom.

It's great when you're on an aircraft with a moving map or similar, but for a short hop with no IFE, would it be possible to use my Android phone or my Surface to 'watch' Flightradar 24 to follow my flight's progress?

Does this type of program work in Aircraft Mode, or if I switched Aircraft Mode off, would this disturb the cockpit controls/communications? (I'm being deliberately vague because I'm not sure of the vocabulary to use ... please forgive me!)

I haven't dared try it because I'm too afraid that to do so would cause problems at the 'pointy end'.

Any information or help much appreciated ....

As an aside, I am always disappointed when I ask a cabin crew member 'If it isn't a bad time for the pilots, could you ask where we've just crossed the French coast?" (thinking I'll have to Google map it later on my return). The reply (if there is one) is always ... "we've just crossed the French coast." (Or similar for the coast of the UK, or Ireland ... never a place just the country.) Could it be for security reasons?