PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B-738 Crash in Russia Rostov-on-Don
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2016, 06:14
Aluminium shuffler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Xollob: "personally I don't think going anywhere near the autopilot on a light weight 737 missed approach is a good idea, as I understand it (I may be mistaken) hitting TO/GA gives you 1-2000ft minute rate of climb, engage the A/P & A/T and now it's going to go for full whack.... in a light weight 737 that is imho recipe for disaster, alt cap, wrong speed set, loads of power off and on etc.... personal preference is to hand fly it all until clean and levelled off and then engage automatics, I put them in sooner though if heavier and not just below the Missed approach altitude,"

No, that is wrong. 737 TOGA activation gives 1-2000fpm climb with a single push. Only pushing TOGA a second time at least 1 second after the first push gives full thrust GA. Manual GA and subsequent AP and AT engagement will engage in either LVL CHG or V/S, depending on circumstances, but neither is a hardship.

As for others engaging the AP with such an extreme out of trim situation by releasing the controls, that makes me question the qualifications of the commentator.