PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF schedule Vietnam war
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2016, 09:48
Bill Frost

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
QF schedule Vietnam war

I travelled as a scheduled replacement Army pilot and not in a unit. From memory left Sydney about 11.00 pm after confinement in Sydney barracks for 12 hours in Sep 68. Direct to Singapore as a 23yo on my first overseas trip and dressed in civilian clothing as Sin didn't support the war. Probably refuelled the 707 after we landed about 7.00am local while pax were driven to a local military base for breakfast. As a junior officer I visited the officers mess for a full English breakfast in an outdoor eating area replete with cane furniture and turbanned Indian waiters. Very tropical and my introduction to Empire. ( Sin still a colony then ) Reboarded about 9.00 am for the hour or so flight to Tan Son Nhut ( Saigon / Ho Chi Minh ) I do remember Captain pointing out Con Son Is as a former prison as we passed southern SVN border, explaining that our arrival would be a steep descent and then wishing us good luck.

I have no memory of the first 20 minutes after touchdown but the subsequent hour or so waiting in an aircraft revetment bay with 30-40 other Aust military are clearly etched. It seemed chaotic and the subsequent flight to Nui Dat on a C123 with a laconic US loadmaster standing on the open loading bay during t/o only reinforced this. We all sat on the floor mid cabin with a cargo strap around us. A C123 looks like a 2 engine Hercules. Nobody told me / I didn't notice it had JATO. It became very apparent on takeoff.

Return in Sep 69 was again in QF direct Saigon - Sydney. Landed in Sydney late at night with only family to greet us. Can't remember if QF provided free beer or if we paid for it.