PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maun, Botswana. The essential guide.
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2016, 18:23
PilotInPink

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Times are changing in Maun.

Whether you like it or not, localisation is happening. With one Botswana flight school fully operational and another shortly to open, there will be fewer and fewer opportunities for expat pilots.

For a country that has such a significant amount of light aeroplane movements and reliance on air transport for major industries (tourism and mining), it taken a surprisingly long time to reach this point. But we have to commend these guys and girls.

Did you know that the first initial issue of a CPL in Botswana only happened in 2016? Until now if a Mostwana wanted to fly they had to leave the country, get a CPL somewhere else, and convert it to a Botswana one when they got home.

It's been an uphill struggle for them, but the first class of 15 Motswana pilots got their CPLs recently and are looking for jobs. At least 7 have already been placed.

The next class will graduate in the middle of the year (not too far away now), and there are more classes chasing their tails.

Going forward, citizens will probably fill the majority of pilot positions. And that's fair. I know many unemployed pilots in my home country and if foreign pilots were to turn up there looking for work, I would definitely raise my eyebrows.

My personal opinion is that any expat that is hired as a pilot from now on will have to bring something substantial to the table (management pilots?) or they will be a friend of a pilot already employed.

In saying that, there's one, maybe two companies that will probably keep taking expats for the foreseeable future for insurance requirements (new graduates don't have 500 hours) and other reasons.

Getting that first pilot job is tough. We all know that. Come to Maun for a holiday, Botswana is an incredible place, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.