PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK's Carriers Left to Rust.
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2016, 20:49
Hangarshuffle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Massively disrespectful.

To call all coal miners who worked within the UK Herberts (which is a sort of scroaty, no gooder insinuation word) is deeply insulting and very disingenuous.
Its true of course there were some bitter industrial disputes, but only 3 or maybe 4 in total, nationally in the 20th century (STBC).
1926 of course....(Now a 46 year gap) Then was it 1972 and I think 1974? (I always think of this as one long dispute). (Then another ten year gap). And finally the end of serious production after 1984-85.
Think most miners had the countries interest at heart.
Never ever mentioned of course is that so dangerous period in early 1944. We practically ran out of energy at this time-our war effort would have collapsed (was about to collapse). Many, many brave men died unsung, unknown and underground to beat or destroy previous production records to supply our coal, to meet this challenge. Bevan boys drafted in as well... I have some photos knocking about....totally put aside their own safety for the war effort. Its documented of course.
There's a healthy place for trade unionism in the UK, y'know ?- all sides just have to apply some grey matter to make it work.
But we are a different country now to then -I concede it. We in the UK are very divided now.
The legacy of the supposed benefits and the personal reputation of Thatcher(ism) is slowly unravelling-I knew it would eventually.