PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why isn’t SELCAL used to contact us on 121,5?
Old 27th Apr 2016, 20:11
Pizza Express

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts
Heathrow Director

I am guessing you spent your time working in the London TMA? When you are in that phase of flight climbing and descending everyone is switched on and tuned in because things are happening and it's also my companies policy not to monitor 121.5 at those times as it can be distracting. I can promise you that after 13 years of short haul flying over Europe that 121.5 has now become one hell of a pain in the arse. During the cruise anywhere over Europe you now have a constant chatter of practice Pans, Acidental handling calls, lost coms relays and there has been a recent trend of silly sound effects probably played via IPhone App. You still have to monitor it and every day you will miss a call because someone is chatting on 121.5. It's not something that happens in the London TMA because people are generally not listening to it it's really a cruise thing. I think something g has to be done because it's now counter productive IMHO!