PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - St. Helena Service
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2016, 19:11
Jwscud

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
The lack of a localiser isn't a huge issue as far as I can see as the RNAV approach is straight in and has usable minima.

As far as I can see, the issue are entirely performance and handling related with the Orographic turbulence and Windshear and prevailing winds.

A quick play with the Boeing OPT suggests with a 10kt tailwind and an OAT of 25° (20kt quartering tailwind with 17kt SW) and no reverser credit at 57t Max Autobrake has you stopped in 1338m so you have a good few hundred meters for mum in terms of runway length.

I am only going by tables for dispatch landing weight but surely you could legally dispatch assuming the into wind runway allowing a higher dispatch landing weight then use the inflight performance onto the opposite runway if conditions are too rough? With a 5kt headwind you could dispatch up to 60t MLW. All getting a bit performance geeky but ultimately as long as the flight ops guys think the operation is safe in the prevailing conditions, I can't see too many performance issues.