PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The open threat from Ms. Thompson the Director of Flight Operations
Old 27th Apr 2016, 00:48
GTC58

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Visionary

Basings policy 13.1 applies to all basing areas, even to the ones who have it as part of their CBA. As such CX is in their right to reduce manning levels if the B747's are gone.
As for training, the 747's don't go all right away, but over a period of time. Instead of hiring guys as cadets and train SO's, upgrade JFO's and Captains, the 747 guys just need a conversion. Which saves a huge amount of training, I would say approx. 1/2 to 2/3rd of the training task compared to training new hires and upgrading through the ranks.
Officers who don't want to come have to resign, officers who don't have the seniority have to take a downgrade. Thats the whole play, divide and conquer. As the most adversely affected officers are based freighter captains represented by their own unions, they are a low priority to the HKAOA in the great scheme of things and the present negotiations.
CX cargo is a separate business entity leasing cargo space from Cathay Pacific Airways. They would then lease it from AHK. There would be no change to CX cargo as this business entity has nothing to do with the airline.

Anyways this is just a rumour and might not happen. But don't kid yourself, I have been here long enough to realize the hammer is coming down 1. June. Doesn't matter if it will cost them millions, shrinks the airline or else, it all comes down to regain and maintain control for CX management.The play is already in motion, well above AT pay grade and I fear the HKAOA and CX will not find a conclusion to their negotiations in time.