PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I got, GOT. Well, almost.
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2016, 21:16
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
I got, GOT. Well, almost.

The Goo Goo search was plain enough. Windows/MS and numerous selling stuff departments. Then something. Then MS with all sorts of useful directions on which way to go. I pressed on the blue telephone number THAT TOOK ME TO 'SOMETHING.'

It's oldness, or dim eyes, or just plain dimness, but stuffed between those two MS paragraphs of info was a little ad. All about Windows support. I've been careful for years, why the b@@dy blue blazes would I fall for what is obviously a planned layout?

The voice that answered was obviously Filipino - with English learned in Italy. It's a small world now, so I pressed on. He, I think it was a he, said could I see a chat box on my screen. Yep, it had popped up. He obviously had my phone number - and so do MS. Anyway, I went over to Jasmine and chatted.

I explained that I couldn't get an ISO file of W7 downloaded for the purpose of putting it on a new SSD. She asked for my key. She said it was wrong. I turned the machine upside down and she was right. I'd transposed a 2 with a Z. Then she said it was okay. So she seemed to know her stuff. I let her romp around inside what is a machine I don't know what to do with, so not the biggest of deals. I hasten to add, I would not have let this happen with my PC. But then she said my disc had all sorts of problems and showed me masses of errors and warnings. She wanted to put them right.

I replied What's the point in putting right a disc I'm about to throw away? I even said I was totally at a loss as to her need to mend my disc before putting in the SSD. That conversation went around and around, and curious that she might make some vast improvement to my HD, I said okay.

Now, masses of time had gone by with her fishing about in my HD. My neat little warning lights of disc activity didn't show much. They stay on top of everything. If she was pulling data, it didn't seem much.

Anyway, then came the not too great surprise. Two levels of repair. One 50 quid and one ninety. I said, Now I understand, and crashed out with the power button.

Now I don't know if she was relying on making money by the charge, or if she was pulling my data. I suppose I have to assume the worst, despite it not being my main computer.

No, I can't believe I did that either. But it's done. What's the odds on stealing my data do you think?d And what are the odds of finding there are now a mass of faults?