PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2016, 20:22
Danny42C

Jack,
...I believe that it was Lucius Cary, 2nd Viscount Falkland, who said, "When it is not necessary to change, it is necessary not to change...."
In general, I would agree with you and with the noble Lord. But in this instance it has always surprised me that so very few of the post-war generations of military pilots have put their training stories (and these must be legion !) down here in detail (preferably 'warts 'n all'). It strikes me that the "in WWII" may have had an "off-putting" effect.

Now we old boys are not an exclusive club: we were merely the ones who were of an age to come in when the scrap-iron was flying about wholesale; it was an accident of birth and nothing more. And there have been many "little wars" since in which our successors have performed as bravely and done as well as ever we did (and as we knew they would). It is they whom I hope will take up the baton from us, and so keep Cliff's (RIP) wonderful Thread alive.
..."Aircrew" or "Flying" for "Pilot's"..
Yes, very good point, Jack. "Flying", I think. And we must always bear in mind PPRuNe's:
...Military Aviation A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here...
Again, I leave the question open.

Stay aboard, Jack !

Danny.

Last edited by Danny42C; 26th Apr 2016 at 20:26. Reason: Out, damned dot !