PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar Aiming for 50% Gender Spilt in Interview Candidates
Old 26th Apr 2016, 13:58
Derfred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are a lot of opinions on this thread, and some pointless arguments, primarily because this thread has lost direction.

It started with an "aim" from JQ of equal opportunity. Their "aim" has been interpreted differently, hence the wide variety of opinions on this thread.

Of particular note, I don't think a single contributor has had the opinion that "piloting an aircraft is a man's job".

That is interesting of itself because my first employer (many decades ago) would never have employeed a female, on the grounds that it was a man's job. He said as much to me on several occasions.

So, perhaps we should restrain this thread to the topic at hand, and the multitude of other topics that have arisen should be discussed in new threads.

Such as:

1. The male vs female desire to pilot an aircraft.

2. The male vs female desire to pilot an aircraft for a living (not the same thing).

3. The physical barriers for (1) or (2)

4. The cultural barriers for (1) or (2)

5. Whether "reverse discrimination" or "affirmative action" is desired or warranted to change (1) or (2).

6. Nature vs nurture... The Norway video linked early in this thread deserves a discussion of it's own.

7. Has the JQ CP's comments achieved nothing other than to get pilots and the public talking about the subject, and if so, has she achieved progress? The number of pages of this thread could indicate so.

P.S. 2Egg:

In all instances the reaction time and decision making process was faster and more correct when the warning was issued by the opposite sex to the pilot.
TCAS went female for a while, and has now gone back to male voice. What happened there? Is that study now out of date?

Last edited by Derfred; 26th Apr 2016 at 14:44.