PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar Aiming for 50% Gender Spilt in Interview Candidates
Old 25th Apr 2016, 21:45
Orange future

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
[QUOTE]Interesting research paper (written by a female) finds that female pilots have higher accident rates and that…../QUOTE]

You are correct; it is an interesting research paper however I suspect you didn’t actually read it. You will note that a significant result of the study was:

“After adjusting for variables included in the model, accident rates for males and females were not significantly different. “

And that:

“ . . .as* ‬a direct consequence* ‬of* ‬the statistical results* ‬of* ‬this* ‬study,* ‬airlines* ‬should* ‬make* ‬every effort* ‬to* ‬recruit* ‬and* ‬retain* ‬experienced* ‬female aviators.* ‬”

D.W suggests that “sexual discrimination has disappeared in aviation” and that is probably true. Nowhere have I suggested that airlines discriminate against prospective or presently employed women pilots. However, D.W has been vocal about the lack of participation by women in the industry, a completely different argument.

[QUOTE]Youre the one saying there is a problem/QUOTE]

Actually, it’s not me suggesting the industry has a problem with gender bias. Many airlines have started programs to solve the puzzle of why women don’t apply to airlines. In recent weeks alone BA and Easyjet have published articles signaling their intent to increase the participation rate of women.

Airbus and Boeing have both been in the press expressing a concern for the lack of women in the industry. Airbus in particular see it is a crucial element in reducing the impact of the looming pilot shortage by stating that “resolving the gender imbalance is a crucial element in reducing the impact of the looming pilot shortage”, interestingly enough.

And Boeing: “There is such an enormous demand to meet the growth that the gender bias will have to be pushed aside.”

Airlines in Asia, ME and even Africa are starting to wake up to the fact that solving a shortage of crew without encouraging women to be involved will not be effective.

Heavens above, even Singapore airlines are employing women now.

But to you, this is just trolling?