PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near CFIT because PIC didn't understand FL
Old 25th Apr 2016, 16:32
+TSRA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
+TSRA
May be this pilot needs a quadruple channel computer to handle his 'levelling off'. By the way what is a 'highly professional easy mistake' ?

Hiya mayam13,

My point to that comment was that a mistake, in of itself, does not imply unprofessionalism. Any mistake in the right circumstances can be viewed as easy one to make. What is akin to negligence one day can be dismissed the next depending upon the conditions leading up to the mistake. That's why I don't like throwing people under the bus because I was not there and, while I can put myself in their shoes, I don't know what else was going on. I guess my attitude comes from spending way too much time training in airplanes and simulators are coming to realize there are far more "average" pilots, like me, than there are "natural born" pilots.

If he is used to a TL of FL180 then he must also hear FL200?

Icarus2001,

I'll give you that over the course of my posts I may have had a typo or two. I'm not a fan of editing my posts because they made sense at the time.

I meant to say "Flight Level Two Hundred." You're right, they will have heard, and been to, FL200 a lot, but if you never hear it spoken a certain way, then you're bound to make a mistake if you don't ask for clarification. That failure to ask for clarification was a big mistake on their part, but I think we've all been there before.