PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Possibility of F-22 production re-start?
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2016, 15:01
PhilipG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rafale Development vs F22 Development

In very broad terms there are similarities between the developmental histories of the Rafale and the F22. In both cases the first requirement was for an air to air fighter for use over the central German plain etc. The timelines are not that dissimilar, both entering service in the early/ mid 2000s.

My point is would the French now wish to build F1 standard Rafales, when the initial squadron's planes are being rebuilt to the latest F3 standard, that is as I understand it is a far more capable aircraft than the Air to Air only F1. I would have thought no.

So is it reasonable to assume that the USAF / US Congress or whoever would want to reopen the F22 line to make the aircraft the same as those that had been made over 10 years ago, I would have thought not.

So IF the F22 line was to reopen I would hope that it reopened building aircraft that has benefited from some of the developments made in the F35 project, RAM Coatings etc, to reduce maintenance costs, SA systems, thinking of Moores Law, that besides improving AtA SA might bring in far more Air to Ground capability.

So IF the line was to open again, it in my view only makes sense to do so with an updated product.