PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bell 525 Relentless
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2016, 13:12
NickLappos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We commercial developers set Vne where it supports a cruise speed, not where things come to pieces at an engineering stress level. In fact, every limit is set that way - where the business plan is met, not where something is likely to break.
Why? Because we test to support safety and sales, not to make a nice research project.
That being said, anyone who knowingly violates a red line (thinking there is always plenty of margin) is in uncharted territory, and foolish in two ways: First, you endanger yourself and your pax and Second, you might be accruing damage so someone else down the line will suffer.

CTR, I have a lot of faith in the Bell 525 team, and in the basic design. Articulated head, canted tail rotor, FBW advanced controls, big spacious cabin, Garmin cockpit, massive pilot visibility, and a dozen other facets were decided while I was there, and I agree, it was a blast! I had always wanted a shark's teeth smile painted on the nose so it could bite its competition in the butt. I think it will make one heck of an impact on the market.
Nick