PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Home flight sims
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2016, 12:44
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dirk

Some of the panels look and are very realistic. When I started flight simming years ago it was for IFR practice and very often I could complete a flight the day before on the sim and do the same for real the next day.

they were great for IFR practice but bad autopilot disconnected with a puppet on a string feel .
I took measurements in the real aircraft.
At slow speed landing you would pull the Yoke right back for a near stall landing maybe a movement of 9 inches for a given effect. In level flight the controls were far more solid with maybe 1/2 inch control movement and a lot of resistance to pitch 15 degrees

Control forces were way out as was out of the box handling like stalling spinning spirals etc

You could simulate those things to a certain extent but were always very limited
Taking the flat screen and multitude of pop up windows to display views and sub controls all made the sims poor for actual flight training
The new VR head pieces will help a lot with the views but still the flight dynamics need a lot to be desired

The Biz jet in flight unlimited did give a true impression of landing a business jet even if the graphics were dated. The One night departure adventure into thunderstorms was amazing you saw the cells painted on radar and approaching got all the turbulence and flashes.
Had that still been in production and up to date with Graphics it would have been something else

Fly! I was also involved with but in an advisory capacity. sadly the lead guy one heck of a nice bloke got cancer and died but that too had promise

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 25th Apr 2016 at 14:01.