PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Home flight sims
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2016, 10:52
dirkdj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been using X-Plane since version 6 or was it 5? Now on version 10.
I used it to 'play' around, but also to prepare for my annual IR check. This year was interesting since my aircraft is grounded since December because of an AD. My IR Profcheck came up last week and I had only flown one hour and not even IFR. Thanks to my preparation on X-Plane, there was no degradation of my flying skills and I passed without any problems.
My experience with X-Plane: I bought the Saitek yoke and throttle and rudder pedals, but they sit in the closet now. I prefer the mouse to fly and the autopilot.
I have the app to connect X-plane position to my Skydemon on my tablet. It makes for very realistic SID, STARS and general situational awareness.
I have the Carenado Beech V35B, the Baron 58 and the Kingair C90. The V35B layout closely matches my own aircraft as far as panel layout is concerned..
You do need a powerful graphics card. I run on Linux and X-Plane is one of the few that will do this.
I don't like the propeller doesn't simulate braking when reducing power.
All in all, for about 150€ including a decent graphics board you can get started; before actually buying the program (about 25€) you can download the demo version to see if your hardware can handle it.

I attach a screen shot of my Carenado C90.
Attached Images
File Type: png
KingAirC90B_1.png (772.1 KB, 21 views)