PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair roadshow in DXB
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2016, 09:19
what-to-do

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personally, I would love to own a 4 bedroom thatched cottage in Cornwall, overlooking a nice beach..... oh and a few acres of land to boot. In addition, I would also love my kids to go to a private school wth a good OFSTED (style) report and two cars.... maybe a land rover and a sports car too.

Back to reality.

I couldn't afford that lifestyle before I came to Dubai, and I don't expect to have it now. Moving back to the UK or wherever, is a transition that requires prioritising and reevaluating what is important. There were things that I could afford to do in Dubai that I can't justify or afford in the UK. That said, there are many benefits to being 'home' too. Most things are much cheaper for starters. Two/three bedroom house to rent in middle England is 850/1000 GBP compared with the average rent in Dubai of about 2,800 GBP (175,000 AED).

When people talk about private education for their children in Dubai, what is it they really mean? Is it that they just pay to have their kids schooled or that they choose not enrol their kids in a state funded school? Oh wait a minute, there isn't a choice. I would imagine that OFSTED would have a field day at some of the schools in Dubai. In contrast, there are private schools in the UK that are indeed affordable on a captains salary, with great reviews. However, you maybe want to put the Porsche brochure back down...... like I said, priorities.

The bottom line is this; if you're happy in Dubai and the money floats your boat, then stay and be happy, I wish you all the very best. On the other hand, don't dismiss life outside of Dubai. The wages for a LCC captain are appx 6,000 GBP take home..... give or take. If you believe that is not enough to permit a decent lifestyle, then fine. As I said previously, each to their own.

For me, it's enough. I have no debt and live in a very modest house, with a modest car, but most of all, i'm happy and glad to have left Dubai