PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Watch out for AMSA advice – you could die!
Old 25th Apr 2016, 07:45
Lead Balloon

Received 419 Likes on 209 Posts
Band a Lot and yr right seem to share a common characteristic of selective stupidity. Must be very debilitating to be unable to post anything but incoherent drivel one day, yet be able to structure coherent sentences and arguments the next. It must be fantastic to be able occasionally to cite ICAO recommendations with crystal clarity despite the disability. Whatever the medicine is, keep it up!

Don't conflate the 'obligation' (or ICAO recommendation) to monitor 121.5 with the frequency on which a voice communication is most likely to result in timely assistance.

Who said this:
It is up to the pilot to determine the best frequency to make a emergency call on based on best chance of being heard.
As I've said before, if you want to put all your MAYDAY eggs in the 121.5 basket, go for it. Broadcast long and loud on 121.5. There are lots of people monitoring 121.5.

Others can choose to activate their ELT or PLB (or in my case, both) to take advantage of all those people monitoring 121.5, and the satellites listening to 406, as well as broadcast a MAYDAY on Area.

But I'm stupid.