PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar Aiming for 50% Gender Spilt in Interview Candidates
Old 25th Apr 2016, 03:53
Orange future

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Still, until you diagnose the problem correctly it's simply noise.
Why would it be up to me to diagnose the problem? I don't select pilots. I don't purchase the planes either so I don't really need to graph the relative merits of Airbus versus Boeing.

However there obviously is a problem. Can we all agree that females were not born disinterested in flying (A rhetorical question obviously)? Somewhere along the way they have been socialized into turning away from the profession. As I mentioned before, this argument is not to assign blame. Its not our fault, its not Jetstar's fault. I have not suggested that women are not given a fair chance. But clearly there is a problem as so few women see airline flying as a viable profession as evidenced by their participation rate.

But it is a problem that impacts JQ (and all airlines) and you should not fault them for laying the groundwork for figuring out how to adjust course in this regard.

Until then, if the VAST majority of cockpit seats are occupied by men only, then statistically you are not always employing the best person for the job, something which appears to concern many of you.