PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot hit by ground vehicle during walk-around!
Old 24th Apr 2016, 23:42
Land Hopper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by notapilot15
Land Hopper

I will go out on a limb and say you are reading from the script.

Like any other questionable practice with this world class entity there are posts claiming there are ramp workers with expired licenses (not driving lic). Also ramp accidents are very common but are cleaned up quickly and quietly.

Of course any such claim will be vehemently denied, leaving analysts scratching their heads.

Another interesting aspect of this great entity, PR team jumps on any single violation anywhere else in the world and start preaching about rules, regulations and safe practices.

Unfortunately you are again, listening to hearsay and not fact.

The ground equipment used here in DXB is access controlled which means unless you have the requisite training and approvals you cannot start the ignition.

Now, I will say that in some instances the standard may not be to the level that many of us originate from. However, I will reiterate my initial point of seeing flight deck on too many occasions (day or night) think that they can perform their walk arounds without hi visibility jackets.

Let's get this straight right now, you are not exempted from this regulation and as such, if such an incident occurs, bear as much accountability as the operator in question.

I for one, cannot understand nor consider what this person is mentally going through right now, nor would I ever want to. But, to hear the accusations and downright terrible rhetoric aimed at him is an absolute disgrace.

As a professional in a professional industry, I feel sorry for this boy (who will more than likely get hung out to dry), irrespective of the safety procedures put in place.

What makes matters worse is the sheer ignorace of a few on this thread that think it is ok for the 'rampers' to wear hi visibilty jackets but to not do this themselves.

Yes, this would probably not have prevented this unfortunate occurrence but surely would have held better ground if all AANS (issued by DA) been observed by the entire aircrew here in DXB.