PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chipmunk - Should I?
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2016, 18:04
Wide-Body

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chipmunk Yes

Guess I am a lucky guy. In the Wide-Body household we have been lucky to own many of the types mentioned here. Condor, Chipmunk, Cub, Maule, Yak 52, RV8 and Chilton DW-1. Let's take the DW1 out of the equation as it is a single seater, even though its handling is amazing and It looks great

For many years my favorite was the Chippy, even after flying some heavy metal the is just something very right with the chipmunk handling. Many hundreds of hours spent wiffadilling around the country. I still have my love affair with the Yak, but beauty contest winner she is not. Funny enough the Condor has great affection in my heart. It wins the most underrated aircraft award around. Great machine for having fun at a great price.

Now to upset SSD, after a 4 years of owning the RV8 whilst maintaining my love affair with the DHC-1 I have come to a personal conclusion. The RV8 is a better handling aircraft . As for looks I believe that the paint scheme influences the look of the aircraft greatly. Luckily Chipmunk owners have better taste than some RV ones.

As for the C150, if you can get someone to fly an aerobatic sequence well in an aerobat they will be able to do well in anything. A great little trainer.

Love SSD engine advice, should be mandatory reading for all.

To answer the initial post. Buy a good one, just do your research first. Fly it for a few years, love it and learn from it. Then buy an RV ;-)