PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rosters-Now v's then
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2016, 07:29
framer

Received 495 Likes on 133 Posts
I agree, it is a very personal choice.
I do think there is a global recognition amongst Airline crew that the rosters are getting tougher and long term the impact on health is severe. Short term the impact on family life is severe. The impact on safety is real.
I imagine the intent of the various flight and duty time laws was to ensure safety, they probably went a fair way to achieving that when written ( I don't really know as I wasn't flying) but now with both short flights and long flights leaving at all times of the day they do not. The rest periods do not account for the physiology of the human body and as such pilots find themselves fighting sleep hormones when signing on and trying to sleep when the body has just registered the sun coming up. Short term this can be managed but after months/ years/ decades chronic fatigue sets in and depression/ cancer/ heart disease follow. The science on this is immature but clearly points to major health issues.
If this were is openly acknowledged by ICAO and the various XAA's the only thing that will happen to the industry is that the ticket prices will stabilise a fraction instead of continuing to become cheaper each and every year ( inflation adjusted). and we will have a safer transport system.