PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Watch out for AMSA advice – you could die!
Old 23rd Apr 2016, 07:06
Band a Lot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Base station about 30ish KM from coast. It was registered to a WA minister on holiday in N.T.

It was a GPS 406 PLB, satellite co-ordinates given were another 30ish km away well in the ocean and checked by local fisho's nothing anywhere there, the actual beacon was emitting some place closer to my location than the GPS was reporting (not sure how that was determined).

The police had no idea that the PLB transmitted on 2 frequencies and I am not sure they believed me, but I am sure after a check on my base station on 121.5 it was not very near me.

Now that leaves a very large search area 60ish KM. If I made a emergency call I would love to hear a bit of a reply back. The best way to have a good chance of that is people to monitor 121.5 as many do, and to make a quick call on that frequency - it simply has a greater audience and can give vital hints if your ELT/GPS gives incorrect information, sure try area if you have time.

Australia's primary emergency call service number is Triple Zero (000), or I can call the hospital directly.

What if the emergency is because you are unknowingly horribly lost and in the wrong Area frequency zone? No-one will here your call.