PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rosters-Now v's then
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2016, 01:13
Pakehaboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I fly at an airline that has 15,000+ pilots,we are under FAR 117 rules,fly the narrow body but havee done wide as well.The jury is still out as to whether these new rules will work or need to be gutted,personally they need to be just that.
The fatigue/roster issue is heating up for sure,I fly 82-85 hrs per month,mostly good pairings,but several are quite fatiguing.Crew planning,scheduling don't give a rats about pairing or the rosters as long as they are legal,the company sees it the same way.

It's seems everywhere you go,this topic has no boundaries,we are all in the same boat,fatigue is a personal thing.Ive sat and listened to grievance committes trying to pay protect pilots who have called in fatigued,only to find out that they are the ones that created their mess by picking up and loading their rosters and lines to 100+hrs,and the fatigue is self induced!!,but legal under FAR 117

On checkin ,we have to acknowledge a Fit-to-fly,if yr not,you go home.Are airlines building and forcing fatiguing rosters on pilots?sure they are!,I see it every day,but as usual, until something catastrophic happens,we are just blowing wind.For the larger airlines with stronge unions,the issue is far more pressing,their ability to exert pressure on mgt,govt agencies,to stop certain practices will hopefully prevail,and that will filter down to the less powerful groups.Until then,we are at their mercy,you either fly the roster,or you don't
Either way,it's a personal choice