PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'DABL'?? What is it??
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2003, 04:24
BEagle

Received 277 Likes on 112 Posts
My Gnat course was in Jan 75....

I don't like the idea of changing the pitch attitude in the climb in order to see what's hiding behind the nose; to do so effectively would need a large attitude change which would destroy what little climb performance most gutless spamcans have in the first place!

Bring the ball into scan when the horizon is indistinct - to make sure that a skidding or slipping climb isn't being flown in error.

I first heard of DABLE when watching an appalling board brief on a 'learning to fly' TV programme - how to make something very easy seem really hard. But maybe that was for the benefit of the cameras?

L-A-I is also used in order to maintain pretty well everything; I note another misnomer which has crept in from certain schools where ' Attitude, Power, Trim' is taught. This is, of course, also nonsense! 'Power' always infers 'Make power selection, hold attitude whilst doing so and trim for the power change'; what comes next is the positive SELECTion of the attitude required for the new stage of flight, HOLDing that atttitude and TRIMming to relieve any control loads...