PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Radar Control Service in Class D VFR
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2016, 20:37
HeliComparator

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by good egg
Here's the thing though...in Class D you can expect traffic information on IFR & VFR...that is your service. Under radar control service you could expect more updates on traffic - doesn't sound like you did though...did you call "visual" with the traffic? (In which case I doubt you'd get further updates as the point of traffic info is to "see and avoid")
It's really difficult to tell what the traffic situation was from your post...was it just you and the other VFR flight? Was there IFR around? Other VFR?
What was the limit of the control zone vertically? Could the controller have given you higher without co-ordination with another controller/unit? Did he/she actually clear you at an altitude or was it "not above" an altitude? Have to say the other VFR pilot showed good practice in one respect if he/she did call to say he/she was at 2,300ft.

The whole point of Class D is that ATC don't need to separate VFR from other flights. ATC relies on VFR being able to "see and avoid" other traffic which is why traffic information is passed.
Once I got visual with the traffic (at pretty close range) it all happened very quickly. There was no other VFR traffic. I believe there was one IFR around but it was more than 10,000' above. It was Newcastle, the class D goes up a long way IIRC. The airprox report said he could easily have allowed me higher, but of course was not obliged to. I was cleared at 2500' it was not a "not above" clearance unlike the other chap. I asked for the alt of the other traffic when I felt it was getting squeaky, I was told he was at 2300' - initially the traffic info was just that he was on a not above 2500' clearance.

You are right, in Class D ATC dont have to seperate VFR on VFR, however can you not see the folly of deliberately putting VFR traffic on a collision course such that if they obey the clearance, they will crash? They only didn't crash because I deviated from my clearance at the last minute. There is nothing wrong with this - by the book. But by any measure of common sense and a desire for flight safety, it is barking. That is my thrust. The controller didn't do anything wrong. But that means it is the system that is wrong.